Saturday, March 19, 2022

Linda Neal

Photo by Donna Hilbert

Spring

 

I wish I could believe in spring

in newness and grass. I wish I could trust

god’s ventriloquism.

But I have seen too much rain

too many mudslides

and felt my own skin

rippled and scarred.

I’ve seen a scuttle fish in the mirror

in spite of a shower

that’s supposed to clean and renew me.

I am a lump of flesh

with a limited life, so Easter holds no

promise for me, no safe place

or day, because all of my life

borders unknown lands

and the white-crested waves

at the beach where I walk.




Photo by Donna Hilbert

Spring Fire


Spring is a season and a prison where desires burn 

unbidden. I hose down the brick patio, feel bad, 

using water this way, but if I stop, dog shit sticks 

to the bricks, with flies and maggots on the surface,

so I turn the jet on full force. Overspray beats

the night's dreams into a rainbow of water around

my feet, and I beat my way into the rhythm of the garden,

wet drop by wet drop. I remember the cadence of our days 

together, lounging our way out of sex, you lean

and watery, picture of spring music, an unforgettable

season, yourself. How you loved bare walls, bare trees, our

bare limbs intertwined. Now, the labile sky changes, 

cloud by cloud, rose bushes ruffle their petticoats, doves sing 

a song I don't understand, and finches build nests 

high in the bamboo. Iris bulbs push their leaves through 

the soil beneath the plumeria, and the purple pansy in its pot 

on the garden table raises its head in the breeze. I'm on fire — 

all this color, all these birds, a single ridged shell 

from a summer ago sitting on the edge of the fountain,

the ocean pounding against the sand in the distance.

I feel the same desire I did when you were a season, 

and I was Spring.




Photo by Donna Hilbert

Poems That Come in Spring


Poems that come in spring

are not hot like summer swimmers;

they don't bask in the sun


and some people would say

they are temperate, no kelvin scale in their skin.

They barely remember risky dives under water,


the time they kicked dead leaves on a sidewalk 

or stood on top of a snow-covered mountain

on a couple of skinny boards.


They don't like to swim

they don't like pumpkins or Halloween

and they don't like ice-slick sidewalks.


They are happy to sit by a stream

count the bubbles on the surface

listen to fish gulp and smell wet grass. 


Poems that come in spring are lonely.

Everything they know has blown away

or melted, or hasn't come yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Coco

Epiphany I wish I had a poem for you one that was lyrical and sweet  A poem filled with love and joy  that blossoms like flowers in Spring  ...